Date: March 30th, 2016
Subject: Zumbro Volunteer Communication 3 2016
You are receiving this email because you have signed up to volunteer at the Zumbro Endurance Run – Friday April 8th and Saturday April 9th, 2016. For those of you who signed up more recently – copies of previous emails can be found on our website HERE http://www.
Please forgive the long email but we have a quite few things to get through – Please take the time to read through this when you get a chance!
Thanks again to everyone that has signed on to volunteer at the 2016 Zumbro Endurance Run, we have a really impressive list of 120 of volunteers for this years event and are now just one week out! We could not put on such a great event without your help. I say this without boasting or bragging, but we have one of the strongest volunteer groups out of any “ultrarunning community” in the country – those of you who have been to races out of state know that first hand, the support and selflessness here is quite staggering! We currently have the following numbers registered to run: 100MI=76, 50MI=172, 17MI=425, TOTAL= 673
A list of volunteer assignments can be found HERE https://www.zumbroenduranc
A few other quick things to note:
• Even when we have warm days at Zumbro it usually gets pretty cold overnight, so please be sure to bring warm clothes, think down jacket and other winter stuff especially for those late night shifts .
• There is always the potential for mud so bring appropriate footwear (and rain gear – hopefully we won’t need it!)• There are toilets at the Start / Finish area and very close to Aid Station 1/4 – however, there are no toilets at Aid Station 2/3 – you either have to use the woods or walk back to Aid Station 1/4 (about a 10 minute walk).
• For those working really long shifts please work with your aid station captain and those in your group to rotate out and get some rest, feel free to bring a tent, sleeping bag etc so you can catch some Z’s we do not want, need or expect anyone to try to stay awake for two days straight!
• You are welcome to all the aid station food you can eat but you may get tired of it… you may want to pack a lunch so you have something you like.
• Feel free to put your own personal touches on the aid station and please work with your group to plan an extra more substantial food item (grilled cheese, burgers, pizza – whatever sounds good and you know you can pull off)!
• Aid station captains, please coordinate with the HAM Radio Operators, they will need a couple of helpers to help call and record bib numbers of runners (runner tracking) – aid stations are staffed really well so it should not be an issue rotating volunteers into that position.
• Need to know what we are providing at the aid stations? A list can be found HERE https://www.zumbroenduranc
• Never worked an aid station and want to learn more? You can do that HERE https://www.zumbroenduranc
• Confused about the area or where to go? You can learn much HERE https://www.zumbroenduranc
• We will still take a couple of helpers at our place in Hastings on Sunday from about 9AM until 2PM if you would like to help us cleanup from the aftermath, let us know!
Below is a list of aid station captains and their email addresses (omitted from email version) should you want to coordinate anything with them prior to race day – they have been here and done it and know the ropes so feel free to contact them directly, you can report directly to them when you arrive as well. – Everyone else should report directly to me – JohnStorkamp or Cheri Storkamp at the start / finish area, medical folks can also look for Joy Parker and HAMS for Brendan Johnson. Your T-Shirts will be at the aid-station or area you have been assigned to with the aid station captain.
Aid Station 1/4 (Fri-Sat)
Aid Station 2/3 (Friday Day)
Aid Station 2/3 (Friday Overnight)
Aid Station 2/3 (Saturday Day)
Aid Station 5 (Fri-Sat)
HAM Radio Coordinator
That is all for now, this will probably be the last group email before the race unless something of note comes up. I leave for the race site on the Tuesday prior to the race and from then on will only check email and voicemail once a day, so please, if you have questions or need to get in touch with me, please do so sooner than later and do not be afraid to email, text, Facebook MSG or pick up the phone!
Zumbro Endurance Run